Phil, over at The Wargaming Site, came up with a clever little quiz to determine whether or not one is a “Proper Wargamer”. It’s pretty simple, but bear in mind it’s aimed at the miniatures game crowd. (I’m sure some clever wag will soon come up with a similar list for RPGs.) Have I ever…
* Spent at least £500 on figures / tanks – and you get extra kudos for every £500 you’ve spent
Oh sweet Gods yes.
* Pricked your finger or thumb on a pike block – several times
Pike block, no. Spearmen stand, yes. I’m going to give myself this one.
* Tried at least 10 different rule sets and vowed never to play half of them ever again
Actually not. I’ve got my comfort zone and I rarely stray too far from it.
* Bought an army off EBay
* Sold an army on EBay
No; I can’t imagine anyone would actually want anything I painted.
* spent months painting an army – then used it in anger once
Umm… does “used it in anger never” count?
* tried several different periods and genres
Ayup. Napoleonics 15mm Ogre/GEV 6mm, medieval 15mm, renaissance naval 1/2400…
* dropped a box of figures on the floor from a great height
I am sad to say yes. They fared well, however.
* lost a battle on the last throw of the dice
Yes, at this year’s DexCon. Damn you lord Percy!!!
* made at least one enemy for life
Well, yes. But I’m pretty sure this is supposed to be about gaming.
* had a proper, stand up argument over a wargamers table
Hehehehehehee… Oh yeah.
* thrown a dice across a room
No, I tend to take my frustrations out against walls and pillars with my fists.
* rebased an army for a different rule set
No, but I certainly foresee it happening.
* inflicted a whopping defeat on an opponent
Oh, yeah. Ogre, anyone?
* suffered an embarrassing defeat due to a stupid tactical decision
Yes, when given the choice of having the table broad or narrow, I chose broad, despite having an overwhelming superiority in cannon. I paid the price for my lack of vision.
* joined a wargamers club
Yes, and eventually became treasurer of the Boston University Simulation Society. Since disbanded.
* bought a ton of lead that remains unpainted
You’ve been peeking in my office, haven’t you?
* been to a wargamers show
I assume this means a convention. Oh, Hel yeah.
* have more dice than is logical or necessary to own – and have used most of them
Yes. You buy them because you “need” them, then use them once, and realize that you prefer your old dice. I’ve got a pile of dice like this.
* have taken boxes of troops down to a club just to show them off to your mates
I’m going to count the time I had people over to the house and showed off my 1/2400 renaissance ships, despite the fact that they’ve never actually been used in a game. I’m still looking for proper rules, honest.