Ahoy, east coast gamers! It’s two cons for the price of one (well, one-half, actually – see below).
This July 2-6 will find the Dexcon convention in beautiful Morristown, NJ (an hour from NYC by train, less if you’re driving), as well as the first-ever OSWARP (Old School Wargaming and Role Playing) convention on that Friday and Saturday.
Featured events are the Ogre Macrotures game on Friday afternoon and an all-new OSR Team Dungeon Crawl event on Saturday, with an enormous ballroom-sized dungeon layout and multiple teams playing concurrently, using a simplified version of the Basic D&D rules. Should be a blast.
If OSWARP is successful, it’ll be spun off into its own convention in September 2015. So let’s make it a spectacular success!
Now, here’s a special deal for us old-school gamers:
First, get your hotel room (if you want/need one – it’s a gorgeous hotel and very friendly to the gaming cons, the convention rate is $125 a night).
Second, submit any game master proposals you might have. If you volunteer to run enough games (64 player-hours’ worth if you’re getting the special OSWARP membership), you get comped into the convention altogether. Types of games we’re looking for:
- Old-school RPGs (Basic, AD&D, White Box, BECMI, Metamorphosis Alpha, Boot Hill, T&T, Runequest, Traveller, C&S, FASA Star Trek, etc. etc. etc.)
- OSR retro-clones and associated games (OSRIC, Labyrinth Lord, S&W, C&C, DCC, Barbarians of Lemuria, etc. etc. etc.)
- Wargames (hex and counter types and others, like Afrika Korps, Third Reich, War in Europe, Campaign for North Africa, Kingmaker, Starfleet Battles, other AH/SPI/Victory Games/etc. – doesn’t have to be from the 80’s)
- Miniatures (historical miniatures from any era, Chainmail (with or without the fantasy supplement), Battlesystem, etc.)
- Anything else you think would be appropriate for an “old school” convention