Westworld, based on Michael Creighton’s novel of the same name, and Futureworld, the not-so-great sequel, were some of my favorite films growing up. An amusement park with various themed sub-parks, populated by robots to make the experience jaw-droppingly realistic. Sort of LARPing before there was such a thing, but without rules, because it was all “really happening”; the ultimate RPGers dream. Between them, the two movies postulated several ‘worlds from which guests could choose:
- Western World (the west of the 1880’s)
- Medieval World (13th century Europe)
- Roman World (1st century Pompeii)
- Future World (the near future, complete with space stations, asteroid riding, skiing on Mars, etc.)
- Spa World (recreating one’s own youth)
- Eastern World (Samurai)
The question for the peanut gallery is… which world would you choose, and why? I can’t help but think that if Creighton was writing it today, there would be a Fantasy World, but he’s not (unless someone clones him with DNA taken from a mosquito that once bit him), so please limit your choices to what they actually had in the films.